Monday 7 September 2015

Museum of Style Icons


Well, finally I made it, after months of promising myself the time out to visit the Museum of Style Icons in Newbridge Silverware. 

Not one for driving long distances due to fatigue, I tend to postpone such outings for a time when I’ve more energy. Whenever that arrives!


The drive wasn’t too far this time though as it turned out, and we didn’t get lost either between Dublin and Newbridge.  Though we did almost have an accidental detour through Naas.


Anyway, first things first, let's start with one thing I always need to check out before venturing anywhere - accessibility.  And they seem to have this well covered here.  


  • Accessible parking close to the entrance
  • Ground level access
  • Clear signage inside the main door, and staff to direct
  • Lift up to MOSI (though my poor PA was a little worse for wear in the platform lift)
  • Audio narratives of the biographies around the museum, although I didn’t notice any Braille signs now I think of it

I didn’t think to check out the toilet facilities I’m afraid, but I hear from trusted sources that they are wheelchair accessible.

The only negative I would point out is the plush carpet around the museum can make pushing a wheelchair a little difficult, even if it does add to the atmosphere. 

So, practicalities checked out, time to get back to business..

First up, as it happened was my all-time favourite style icon, Audrey Hepburn. With a section all of her own, dedicated to a mix of her movie and personal outfits.  The cream dress and mustard coat from “Charade”, posing elegantly among a dedicated photo gallery of her most memorable film and fashion moments.  


'Charade'

I could literally have stayed there all day.  Around the corner then led to one of her own pieces, a grey wool coat, and a floral dress worn in one of my fave movies “Funny Face”.  
Not to mention the “one” I really went to see if I’m honest, the pink rhinestone encrusted dress from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”.  #letstakeamoment.

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Another one of my favourites and a very close second to Audrey has to be Princess of Monaco Grace Kelly.  This elegant embroidered chiffon dress from “High Society” in 1956 has to be seen to be believed.  Oh, for the chance to try that on!


Grace Kelly

Next in line on my list of preferences had to be Princess Diana.  To say I was a little like a child at Christmas would be fair, and you can hardly blame me..Her pink silk embroidered dress with crystal beads speaks for itself really.  And don’t even get me started on the toile of her wedding dress, there are no words to even begin a description of this gown. Not to mention its accompanying miniature models of the flower girl dresses.  Sigh.


Princess Diana's bridal party

Moving on, eventually, and more pink dresses, this time belonging to Marilyn Monroe.  A fuschia pink Pucci dress, and red polka dot umbrella were accompanied by artifacts from her life including telegraphs and doctor’s prescriptions.  Found myself developing a sudden interest in history that I never possessed in school.. better late than never, eh?


Marilyn Monroe

Next up, some of the iconic actresses of the Film Noir era, some of whom I recently became acquainted with through a fashion history assignment.  
Elegant dresses worn by Rita Hayworth, Betty Grable and Greta Garbo stand side by side to tell their stories. 


Rita Hayworth



Childhood favourites of mine like Julie Andrews and Judy Garland also make an appearance, with the likes of Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds and Barbara Streisand.

Julie Andrews

Not to neglect the male icons of bygone eras, such as a red jacket belonging to Elvis Presley, a denim jacket of Bob Dylan and a few pieces from the late Michael Jackson. 


Elvis Presley

So much to take in, in a relatively small space!

As the natural course of the exhibition moves to an end, we see some pieces from modern day icons, like this chiffon Victoria Beckham gown, and Angelina Jolie's coat. 


Victoria Beckham
So, there you have it.  A selection of my favourite pieces from a long awaited visit. Well worth the wait I say, and I'd definitely recommend it for any fashion and/or history enthusiasts out there.  



Should also mention, the exhibition is free of charge.  And I recommend learning from my mistake – leave some time for the nearby Whitewater Shopping Centre.  I may have to go back a second time for that one.

Has anybody else been to the exhibition, did you have any particular favourites?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Styleability. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig