Wednesday 17 June 2015

Maxi skirts


Such a genius invention in my opinion. Despite my shortcomings in the height department, I love the maxi skirt for a number of reasons.


  • They can be casual or dressy
  • Great for hiding less than attractive orthotics
  • Can be worn during the day with my trainers – essential for said orthotics
  • Can be practical for the Irish summer or winter, as they can be layered with tights or leggings underneath if needed. 


As I’ve already mentioned, being petite in stature can pose a bit of a challenge when it comes to the long flowing maxi skirt or dress, but I’ve found a few ways around this obstacle..

Alterations these days are good value for simple tasks such as shortening the skirt hem, and some places offer special deals from time to time – I use the Zip Yard in Dun Laoghaire for example, very professional service and great value for money.

Sometimes I use a wide belt to pull in the waist, gather the fabric and adjust the height of the hem so its off the ground and out from under my feet.



Even wearing orthotics in this case can be an advantage, as they provide the same effect as wearing a pair of wedges, adding a little height as well as support.

Maxi skirts can be styled in so many different ways.  My current favourites are from Penneys, surprise surprise.

I got two of the same type, one in black and one in grey.  Not very summery colours granted, but grand for the “Irish” summer and they mix well with most of my wardrobe, so pretty great value for just €10 each.

I tend to opt for simplicity in style and pattern for the maxi skirt, as anything too full or flouncy can be overwhelming unless you have the height to carry it off.

These ones are nice and simple in soft jersey fabric, straight shape with side pockets.  They have an elasticated waist as well, and so are very comfortable if sitting in a wheelchair.

In terms of styling, the maxi skirt is a flexible choice, mixing well with a simple tee, sheer summer blouse, denim jacket or shirt, or a smart summer blazer.





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Styleability. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig